All of a sudden you realize, everything you eat, the baby eats! And the responsibility is like, whoa. And now I’m thinking about things like, 100 grams of protein? How much iron is in these dried apricots? Am I getting enough vitamin C? FINE, I’ll get out of bed to take the pre-natal vitamin I forgot to take today. Etc. etc.
Speaking of the Vitamin C - besides my recent addiction of eating whole grapefruits (Costco has the best ones), I’ve gotten into the habit of having water with lemon squeezed into it every morning. I love it because I haven’t been drinking coffee, which is usually what motivates me to leave the house in the morning, and somehow this citrus boost in my water gives me a perk AND gets me to drink a lot of water first thing in the morning. Apparently, there are a host of other benefits too, all of which I am a fan:
- Boosts immune system
- Lemons are high in potassium which stimulates brain and nerve function and helps control blood pressure (good for pregnant ladies)
- Balances your body’s pH
- Some people think it helps with weight loss
- Helps digestion! Which could help with heartburn and constipation.
- Apparently its also a diuretic – which is good for cleansing toxins, but not as good for a pregnant lady that already goes to the bathroom way too much.
- Clears your skin
- Freshens breath, but be careful, the citric acid could erode tooth enamel, so don’t go overboard.
The list goes on and on. Do your own research and try it. Aaand one more thing that has a whole ton of Vitamin C and is a whole ton of delicious: kiwi juice. Get on it.